Manitoba Drama Youth Festival 2023
Welcome to the 42nd Annual Manitoba Drama Youth Festival! We are proud to continue offering our young theatre artists the space to share and experience the most meaningful things about themselves and the world around them.
What is the Manitoba Drama Youth Festival?
Each year, hundreds of students from all across Manitoba (middle years to high school) get together to perform and participate in workshops led by industry specialists. Through this connection, MDYF hopes to nurture the creative spirit and foster a sense of community amongst the participants. So, whether you are joining us for the first time or returning with a new group, this year’s festival is sure to engage and inspire another generation of theatre artists and allies.
WHAT TO EXPECT
Mornings are filled with professional workshops such as: Musical Theatre, Stage Combat, Improv, Mask, Shakespeare, Acting for the
Camera, and more! Afternoons feature performances from
attending schools. Performance pieces can range from published works, collective creations, works in progress, etc. Not every
school is required to perform. You are more than welcome to attend the day as supportive audience members and workshop participants.
Book a live drama workshop for your students lead by an industry professional. Our instructors will work exclusively with your classroom. Workshops can be tailored to suit your schedule and needs.
NEW THIS YEAR
Schools will be able to participate remotely. Can't come to the festival but still want to submit a performance? We will have options for you to record your work and send it in for adjudication. We will also offer live online workshops for schools that can't attend in person!
All explorations of the theatrical arts are welcome (original scenes, collective creation, excerpts, mixed media, one-act plays, monologues, improv etc.) Don’t think you will have a finished piece before May? No Problem! Works in progress are more than welcome
to be entered. Performance spaces are limited so please register early!
Our MDYF festival coordinator is Loc Lu.
He can be reached at:
MDYF 2023 BAKE-OFF Parameters.pdf
What is Theatrical Bake-Off?
A Bake-Off is a style of quick creation theatre pioneered by playwrights in NYC in the 1980s. The basic format is that a group of playwrights are given a list of "ingredients" and a limited amount of time to write a new play. (The original bake-off gave writers 48 hours to create a play that included a front porch, a kitchen sink and a withheld secret). The name is inspired by the idea of a play being a recipe; this style adds some required ingredients to your recipe. For MDYF performances, students across the province will be given our required "ingredients", asked to write a piece and then translate that piece into a video performance. Ingredients will be announced in March.
MDYF 2023 Bake-off Parameters
● Projects should be no longer than 15 minutes in length.
● Projects can be either filmed and submitted or performed live at the festival.
Details on where/how to send video will be provided at a later date.
● Projects can be a recording of a scene that was performed in real time OR it can be an edited film piece. If it is a scene recorded in real time, please ensure that the video quality is adequate enough to see details clearly on the screen (ie faces, props etc).
● If performed live, your project can be adjudicated at the festival. If filmed, you
can request adjudication for your project which will be sent out during festival week.
● If filmed, please submit your projects no later than May 15th.
Bake-off Ingredients: (All projects must include)
● A line from a fairly well known song (can be sung or spoken)
● A sequence of mime (can be throughout the piece or out of place - like a section of mime where everything else has props)
● A moment of intense emotional output
● An obscure reference to fairy tales
● The number 7